After working a few days with Cognos 11 (R3), I already had my share of disappointments.
- Views can’t be changed
- In C10 views emerged as a best practice for me – the user always can access the same view, the developer can change the source in the background. Not anymore in C11, the source can not be changed anymore (at least I am unable to find it)
- Import your own files and use them in a report
- Might be working, but very very barely. I tried adding my own Excel content for usage in a report. Importing works fine, creating a data module works fine, creating a report upon this module works fine, but then the fun begins. As soon as a data module is added to a report you can not look inside your queries. What, you say? No changig of aggregation type, no filter usage? Seriously? Yap! What you CAN do is (e.g.) add a list and add the data items. I honestly hope this is a bug.
- Hide the sidebars
- … and loose the C11 optic and functionality.
- UI crashing from time to time as in not responding anymore. Or throwing errors. Yeah, I know, it’s a beta. Still sucks.
- No, you can’t overwrite your report. No, you can’t save here, but we show the option anyway. No, if you click “save as” the next time, your previously used folder is not saved. Yes, after getting an error message you have to start over with the save as process,. *!$”%§&§/(*
Go to query? No you don’t! Function seems to be removed, you have to do some legwork.– my bad, found it. It’s behind those lovely red dots.
- Working on two reports in two tabs? Please don’t. If you run the report in one of them you (might) get an error and the other tab just disappears and your progress is gone. Sort of like the old Excel, where you only can open one file at a time. Retro is good, aye?
- Validate your Data Item? You shouldn’t! An error will popup and you will have to reload the page and loose your last progress. Hooray.
Just to clarify: This is just my developers point of view, the end-user experience should be completely different.